The birth of a child at home is a happy occasion not only for the parents but for the entire family. After delivery, it is very important to take care of both the mother and the newborn baby. For this, after birth, the child is kept under the supervision of a doctor and some health tests are also done. Newborn screening is very important so that the health of children remains good and any kind of disorder can be detected timely. Let us know from experts about what newborn screening is and why it is important for the newborn baby and also for the parents. This information is being given by Dr Rajeev Chhabra, Chief Pediatric, Artemis Hospital, Gurugram and Miss Chandra Ganju, Group Chief Executive Officer, Trivitron Healthcare.
What is newborn screening?
Newborn screening is a public health program that detects genetic, metabolic, developmental, and other genetic disorders in newborn babies. In this, some important tests of the child are done within 48 hours after birth. This helps detect health conditions in children that may not be obvious at birth but can progress over time if they are not treated at the right time. For these tests, usually, a few drops of blood are taken from the child's heel, which are tested in the lab. Newborn Screening Newborn Health It is very important because it can detect some health conditions whose symptoms may not be visible immediately, but if their symptoms are not detected in time and proper treatment is not given, then they can put the child's life at risk. There can also be danger. If these health conditions are detected at the right time, the child's health can be improved through changes in diet, treatment and many other methods.
Why should parents get their child's newborn screening done?
- Parents should take full care of getting newborn screening done after the birth of the child so that future complications can be avoided.
- Diseases like phenylketonuria (PKU), congenital hypothyroidism and sickle-cell disease, if detected early, can help prevent developmental delays, intellectual disability and other serious complications.
- Newborn screening provides accurate information to the parents about the health of the child and if any health condition is detected, it can be treated immediately. Detecting the disease at the right time and getting treatment has a deep impact on the future life of the child.
- Additionally, conditions such as cystic fibrosis or congenital heart disease, if detected early, may allow time to prepare for treatment and be treated appropriately.
- Apart from this, it also gives peace of mind to the parents that the child's health is being monitored properly.
Image Credit: Freepik