Who doesn't like a beautiful face? But when acne or whiteheads occur, the complexion of the face gets suppressed. Whiteheads may not be the worst form of acne, but it sucks nonetheless. Whiteheads develop when dead cells, sebum oil or dirt accumulate and clog pores. Whiteheads can be a bit difficult to clean and appear as raised white bumps on the skin.
Why do whiteheads occur
Whiteheads can be caused by several reasons, such as increased sebum production and cell shedding in the hair follicles. Acne is common during puberty, also known as reproductive hormones. When sebum cannot reach the surface of the skin and gets stuck, the pores can get clogged. Whiteheads develop as excess sebum builds up behind clogged pores. If ignored, whiteheads can get infected and break out in the form of pimples. Apart from this, whiteheads can occur due to hormonal changes, some cosmetic products, excessive sebum, sweat, greasy, certain medicines, pollution, and excessive exposure to the sun.
How to get rid of whiteheads?
1. Salicylic Acid: It is a beta-hydroxy acid that exfoliates the skin and cleanses the pores. Salicylic acid works best for mild acne-like whiteheads because it helps to remove the top layer of damaged skin. It penetrates your skin and removes dead skin cells.
2. Tea Tree Oil: It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, which can work against whiteheads. Since it is a natural ingredient it is easy to apply directly on your face. Tea tree oil is also present in some skin care products, including cleansers, masks, and spot treatments.
3. Steam: Steam is one of the most natural remedies to get rid of whiteheads. It helps in unclogging the clogged pores and gets rid of problems like whiteheads. Steam not only helps in opening the pores, but it also gives you clear skin.
4. Retinoid Cream: Regular use of this cream has anti-aging effects on your skin and helps in unclogging the pores. A 2017 study published in Dermatology & Therapy found that retinoids can help treat acne-like conditions like whiteheads. However, keep in mind that retinoids can make your skin more sensitive to the sun's rays. Therefore, before trying this, talk to your skin expert.
5. Aloe Vera: Contains moisturizing and soothing properties that will reduce oil production and whiteheads over time. You can mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with one teaspoon of aloe vera and apply it to the affected area. Leave it on for a few minutes and wash it with normal water.